Japan’s decision, announced on April 8, to enter negotiations on the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) represents a significant step to strengthen the U.S.-Japan strategic alliance and the economic and national security interests of both countries. As negotiations move forward, Forum on Energy will begin sharing news and opinions on the potential agreement and its implications for the US-Japan relationship. Just last week, National Journal produced a useful “Trans-Pacific Partnership Primer” that explains the negotiating landscape.
This guide will help answer questions such as:
- What’s the difference between the TPP and other free trade agreements?
- Which countries are engaged in the negotiations?
- Which countries want to join the negotiations?
- How have negotiations evolved over time?
- What does Congress think about it?
Stay tuned for more coverage of the Trans-Pacific Partnership.